The Rossignol Warehouse was a substantial 1920′s building repurposed from its origins as a blacksmith shop and eventual commercial warehouse dual occupancy living; comprising of a main residence and an adjacent apartment for guests.
A box within a box
The removal of the existing internal volume created outdoor space and openings for the new design This subtraction principle allows the public and private spaces to be organised and layered in a manner that provides control and flexibility. Vertically opening glass walls connect double height volumes while a series of louvers inserted between existing trusses ensure light and ventilation is maximised to all internal and external spaces.
This project won the ‘AIA Commendation 2011 for Residential Houses’ in the Brisbane Regional Awards.